Dr. M. A. Karim, P. E., M.ASCE
Welcome to my website. My area of specialization is Environmental Engineering with emphasis in soil and sediment remediation and decontamination, environmental management, and waste management. My research focuses on remediation technologies that are applicable to in-situ decontamination and remediation of soil and sediment, environmental management, wastewater treatment, and solid and hazardous waste management.
Let me introduce myself briefly. I had my B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Civil Engineering from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) in 1989 and 1992, respectively. I spent about six years as a full-time faculty at BUET where my last position was Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering. I came to USA in 1995 and finished my Ph.D. in Civil/Environmental Engineering from Cleveland State University, Ohio in 2000. I worked about three years for ALLTEL Information Services in Twinsburg, Ohio as an Applications Programmer. Then I worked about eight years (in two different times) for the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (VDEQ) as a Senior Environmental Engineer (Solid Waste Permit Writer II) and taught at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) as an Affiliate Professor before I went to Trine University in January 2008, as a full-time Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering. I taught part-time at Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW) while employed at Trine University. During my time at Trine University I taught a course for VCU on-line using Wimba class room. I also taught at Stratford University, Richmond, Virginia campus as an adjunct faculty while working for VDEQ. Since Fall of 2011, I have been working for the then Southern Polytechnic State University (SPSU), Marietta, Georgia (Kennesaw State University, Marietta Campus since January 2015) as a full-time faculty in Civil and Construction Engineering. I was the program director for BS in Environmental Engineering program from 2015 to July 2017. I am a graduate faculty of MSCE program. I am a registered professional engineer for the State of the Commonwealth of Virginia and the State of Georgia. I have more than twenty five journal and proceeding publications and three professional reports in the area of soil and sediment remediation, environmental management, statistical hydrology, and engineering education. I am a member of American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE). I am also an ABET EAC Program Evaluator Volunteer (PEV) for Civil Engineering Program. Currently I am serving as an Assistant Department Chair.
Selected Recent Publications:
- Karim, M. A. Hassan, A. S. and Oncul, F. (2018),Optimization of Fly-Ash to Soil Mix Ratio for Enhanced Engineering Properties for Subgrade Use, Bimedical Journal of Scientific & Technical Research, 10(2), October, pp. 1-6, BJSTR.MS.ID.001918. DOI: 10.26717/BJSTR.2018.10.001918; [Impact Factor = 0.548]
- Zhao, L. and Karim, M. A. (2018), Use of geosynthetic materials in solid waste landfill design: A review of geosynthetic related stability issues, Ann Civil Environ Eng., 2, June, pp. 006-015. https://doi.org/10.29328/journal.acee.1001010.
- Karim, M. A. (2018), Inclusion of Field Trips in Teaching of Environmental Engineering for Civil Engineering Program: A Case Study, Proceedings of 2018 ASEE-SE Conference held in Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Florida on March 4-6, 2018.
- Karim, M. A. and Moss, B. L. (2017), A Preliminary Laboratory Investigation of Methane Generation Potential from Brewery Wastewater using UASB Reactor, Annals of Civil and Environmental Engineering, 1, May, pp~034-041. [Impact Factor = N/A]
- Lowder, L.; Atiqullah, M.; Colebeck, D.; Das, S.; Karim, M. A.; Khalid, A.; Singh, R. and Utschig, T. (2017), Peer Observation: Improvement of Teaching Effectivness through Class Participation at a Polytechnic University, Journal of STEM Education, Volume 18, Issue 4, Oct-December 2017. [Impact Factor = N/A]
- Karim, M. A. and Mark, J. L. (2017), A Preliminary Comparative Analysis of MBR and CAS Wastewater Treatment Systems, International Journal of Water and Wastewater Treatment, 3(2), March, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.16966/2381-5299.138
[Impact Factor = N/A]
- Karim, M. A. (2017), Importance and Sequence of Laboratory Course in Environmental Engineering: A Case Study, Proceedings of 2017 ASEE Zone II Conference held in San Juan, Puerrto Rico on March 2-5, 2017. [Impact Factor = N/A]
- Karim, M. A. (2016), Hybrid Delivery of Environmental Engineering: Perception, Attitude, and Assessment, Presented in 2016 ASEE 123rd Annual Conference and Exposition held in New Orleans, Louisiana on June 26-29, 2016. [Impact Factor = N/A]
- Karim, M. A. (2016), Analytical Solution for Modeling of Transport and Removal of Contaminants from Solid
Phase by the CEHIXM Process, Insights in Analytical Electrochemistry, Vol. 2, No. 1:5, pp.1-7, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2470-9867.100013,
May. [Impact Factor = N/A]
- Karim, M. A. (2016), Learning Environmental Engineering - On-line, Hybrid, or Face-to-Face: A Case Study, Presented in 2016 ASEE SE Section's Annual Conference held in Tuscaloosa, Alabama on March 13-15, 2016. [Impact Factor = N/A]
- Karim, M. A. (2015), Project Based Learning of Environmental Engineering: A Case Study, Presented in ASEE’s 122nd Annual Conference & Exposition held in Seattle, Washington
on June 14-17, 2015. [Impact Factor = N/A]
- Lowder, M. L., Khalid, A., Ferreira, D., Stutzmann, B., Atiqullah, M., Bohannon, J. L., Chin, C., Singh, R., Yee, T. M., Acharya, K., Karim, M. A., Keyser, R. S., and Colebeck, D. (2015), Student and Faculty Perceptions of Attendance Policies at a Polytechnic University, Presented in ASEE’s 122nd Annual Conference & Exposition held in Seattle, Washington on June 14-17, 2015.[Impact Factor = N/A]
- Karim, M. A., Schroeder, P. R. and Bunch, B. W. (2015), A Preliminary Laboratory Investigation of PCB Flux from Dredge Resuspensions and Residuals, Soil and Sediment Contamination: an International Journal, Vol. 24, No. 5, pp.526~541, May. DOI:10.1080/15320383.2015.986263. [Impact Factor = 0.894]
- Karim, M. A. (2014), Electrokinetics and soil decontamination: concepts and overview, Journal of Electrochemical Science and Engineering - jESE, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp.297~313, DOI:10.5599/jese.2014.0054 [Impact Factor = N/A]
- Karim, M. A. and Khan, L. I. (2014), Comparison of Heavy Metal Removal from Chemically Interactive and Non-Interactive Solid Phases by CEHIXM Process, Separation Science & Technology, Vol. 49, No. 10, pp. 1449~1460, July. DOI:10.1080/01496395.2014.894523. [Impact Factor = 1.16]
- Karim, M. A., Bunch, B. W. and Schroeder, P. R. (2014), A Preliminary Laboratory Study of Initial Copper Release from Dredge Residuals, Remediation Journal, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp.61~75, March. [Impact Factor = NA]
- Debnath, J., and Karim, M. A. (2013), Water: The Risky Business, A teaching module developed as a part of the workshop titled, Reconnect 2013 Workshop: Water Infrastructure, Contamination and Risk Assessment” held at Morgan State University, Baltimore, Maryland from June 2 – 8, 2013 organized by Command, Control, and Interoperability Center for Advanced Data Analysis (CCICADA), Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Center for Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science (DIMACS) and funded by National Science Foundation (NSF). Published in http://www.ccicada.org/2014/06/10/ccicada-education-modules/ in February 2015. [Impact Factor = NA]
- Karim, M. A. (2013), Contaminant Release from Dredge Resuspension and Residuals, Final Report Submitted to the US Army Corps of Engineer, Engineer Research and Development
Center (ERDC), Waterways Experiment Station (WES), 3909 Halls Ferry Road, Vicksburg, MS. Contract No. TCN 12-057, Solicitation No.
W911NF-11-D-0001, December 2012 and Revised January 2013. [Impact Factor = NA]
- Karim, M. A. and Khan, L.I.(2012), Enhancement of Electrokinetic Decontamination with EDTA, Environmental Technology, Vol. 33, No. 20, pp.2291~2298, April. DOI:10.1080/09593330.2012.665493. [Impact Factor = 1.410]
- Karim, M. A. and Khan, L.I.(2011), Effect of the Secondary Electrode Configuration in Removing Metal Contaminants from Soils by the CEHIXM Process, Soil and Sediment Contamination: an International Journal, Vol.20, No.7, pp.857~875, November. [Impact Factor = 0.894]