What is Geography and What Can I Do With It? (Geography.com)
- Geography and maps are a fundamental language for understanding the world. They provide a framework for organizing and communicating our knowledge. Increasingly geography is used in virtually every field of human endeavor, providing a universal language for understanding, communicating ideas, and providing insights. Geography asks the big questions—Where? How? Why? What if?—and gives you the perspective to answer them with advanced technology and a solid knowledge of the world in which we all live.
Geography and GIS Degree, Major, and Minor Opportunities at KSU
- BA in Geography (face-to-face)
- BA in Geography (fully online)
- BS in Geographic Information Science
- Minor in Geography
- Certificate in Geographic Information Sciences
- Geography is unique in linking the social sciences and natural sciences together. There are two main branches of geography: human geography and physical geography. Human geography is concerned with the spatial aspects of human existence. Physical geographers study patterns of climates, land forms, vegetation, soils, and water. Geographers use many tools and techniques in their work, and geographic technologies are increasingly among the most important emerging fields for understanding our complex world. They include Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Remote Sensing, Global Positioning Systems (GPS), and online mapping such as Google Earth. Explore the links at this site from the Association of American Geographers to review sample job titles associated with specific subfields within geography.
- Many geographers pursue rewarding careers in education; business and private sector; local, state, or federal government agencies; and nonprofit/NGO organizations.
- The AAG offers a variety of resources to answer questions, guide your career planning, and help you find a job. AAG members can access job announcements through the Jobs in Geography Center. Members and non-members alike can explore profiles of individual geographers; information about specific occupations, skills, and salary trends; and an assortment of other career advice and information.
- In our modern, globally interconnected society, it is more important than ever that people understand the world around them. For that reason, National Geographic is committed to advancing geo-literacy in the U.S. and around the world. Geo-literacy is the understanding of Earth systems and interconnections that we all need to make good decisions. Whether we are making decisions about where to live, what precautions to take for natural hazards, or how to set up a manufacturing supply chain, we are all called upon to make decisions that require geo-literacy throughout our lives. On this page, you can find out more about geo-literacy, why it is important, and how you can participate in National Geographic’s geo-literacy efforts.
- The Ethnic Geography Specialty Group (EGSG) promotes the common interests of scholars and professionals researching ethnic and immigrant geography and provides a forum for the exchange of ideas within the American Association of Geographers (AAG). The EGSG facilitates the sharing of diverse ideas and information among its members and others interested in ethnic and immigrant geography; stimulates research, pedagogy, and applications in ethnic and immigration geography; aids in the advancement of its members and of the field of ethnic and immigration geography; represents ethnic and immigrant geography within geography as a whole and with other related disciplines as well as the general public; and maintains relations with cognate organizations.
- Education abroad programs can help you grow personally, academically, and professionally. Kennesaw State University offers more than two-dozen faculty-led study abroad programs in 30+ countries, as well as many foreign exchange and international internship opportunities. Regardless of what field of study or country you are passionate about, there is an education abroad program for you! The information and resources on this site will help guide you through the entire education abroad experience.