My mathematics research is in graph theory, especially extremal graph theory. I am also interested in researching best practices in undergraduate mathematics education.
Link to my CV (current as of Jan. 2017)
Graph Theory Publications:
- S. Hartke, J. Vandenbussche, and P. Wenger: "Further results on bar k-visibility graphs,"SIAM Journal of Discrete Math, 21 (2007), no. 2, 523--531 (electronic).
- S. Hartke and J. Vandenbussche: "On a question of Sos about 3-uniform hypergraphs," Journal of Combinatorial Designs, 16 (2008), no. 3, 253--261.
- J. Vandenbussche and D. West, "Independence in 2-factor-plus-triangles graphs," The Electronic Journal of Combinatorics, 16 (2009), no. 1.
- A. Asratian, C.J. Casselgren, J. Vandenbussche, and D. West, "Proper path-factors and interval edge-coloring of (3,4)-biregular bigraphs," Journal of Graph Theory, 61 (2009), no. 2, 88-97.
- J. Vandenbussche and D. West, "Matching extendability in the hypercube," SIAM Journal of Discrete Math, 23 (2009), no. 3, 1539–1547..
- J. Vandenbussche, D. West, and G. Yu, "The page number of k-trees," SIAM Journal of Discrete Math, 23 (2009), no. 3, 1455–1464.
- D. Cranston, N, Korula, T. LeSaulnier, K. Milans, C. Stocker, J. Vandenbussche, D. West, "Overlap Number of Graphs," Journal of Graph Theory, 70 (2012), no. 1, 10-28.
- L. Williams, J. Vandenbussche, G. Yu, "Equitable defective coloring of sparse planar graphs," Discrete Math, 312 (2012), no. 5, 957-962.
- J. Vandenbussche and D. West, "Extensions to 2-factors in bipartite graphs," The Electronic Journal of Combinatorics, 20 (2013), no. 3.
- S. Holliday, J. Vandenbussche, and E.E. Westlund, "Completing partial proper colorings using Hall's condition," Electronic Journal of Combinatorics, 22 (2015), no. 3.
- S. Holliday, J. Vandenbussche, E. Westlund, “Every graph G is Hall ΔG-extendible,” Electronic Journal of Combinatorics, 23 (2016), no. 4.
- M. Barrus, M. Ferrara, J. Vandenbussche, P. S. Wenger, “Colored Saturation Parameters for Rainbow Subgraphs,” The Journal of Graph Theory, 86 (2017), no. 4, 375–386.
- H. Hoskins, R. Liu, J. Vandenbussche, G. Yu, "Planar graphs without 4-cycles and close triangles are (2,0,0)-colorable," The Journal of Combinatorial Optimization, 36 (2018), no. 2, 346–364.
- V. Larsen, J. Vandenbussche, E. Westlund, "Hall Spectra and Extending Precolorings with Extra Colors," Australasian Journal of Mathematics, 76 (2020), no, 3, 346-365.
- A. Khalid, B. Nuhfer-Halten, J. Vandenbussche, D. Colebeck, M. Atiqullah, S. Toson, C.A. Chin, B. Stutzmann, "Effective Multidisciplinary Active Learning Techniques for Freshmen Polytechnic Students,'' Review of Higher Education and Self-Learning, 4 (2011).
- J. Vandenbussche, C. Scherrer, A. Brigham, A. Semenova, "An analysis of the effectiveness of using exclusively workshop-style instruction in the College Algebra classroom, focused on engineering and engineering technology undergraduates”. ASEE National Conference Proceedings, June 2012.
- W. Griffiths, C. Scherrer, J. Vandenbussche: "A Study of Students' Perceptions of Mathematics Homework Policies, with Emphasis on Engineering Undergraduates," ASEE National Conference Proceedings, 2013.
- J. Vandenbussche: "A Study of the Effects of Early Remediation in Prerequisite Material in a Calculus I Course," ASEE National Conference Proceedings, 2013.
- W. Griffiths, C. Scherrer, J. Vandenbussche, “Students' Perceptions of Homework Policies in Lower- and Intermediate-Level Mathematics Courses,” Mathematics and Computer Education, Vol. 48 (2014), no. 2, 149-163.
- J. Vandenbussche and C. Scherrer, "An Introductory Study of the Impact of Implementation Intentions on Assignment Completion Rates with an Emphasis on Engineering Technology Students," ASEE National Conference Proceedings, 2015.
- J. Vandenbussche, L. Ritter, C. Scherrer, "An incentivized early remediation program in Calculus 1." International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, 49 (2018), no. 8.
- L. Ritter, J. Vandenbussche, C.R. Scherrer, J. Whipple, "A study of student perceptions of office hours and the impact of required and elective attendance on those perceptions," Journal on Excellence in College Teaching, to appear.
- J. Vandenbussche, L. Ritter, K. Callahan, E. Westlund, "Using Strand Committees to
Faculty Support for Departmental Change," PRIMUS (2020) p. 1-25.