- Special Assistant to the President & Provost, July 2021-present
- Ph.D. 1987 (Biology) -- University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- M.S. 1980 (Biology) -- California State University, Long Beach (CSULB)
- B.S. 1976 (Zoology) -- California State University, Long Beach
- Postdoctoral Scientist 1987-1989 -- University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa
- Professor of Biology Emeritus, KSU; 2021 - present
- Professor of Biology, KSU; 1999 - 2020
- Associate Professor of Biology, KSU; 1994 - 1999
- Assistant Professor of Biology, KSU; 1989 - 1994
- Senior Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs, Kennesaw State University (KSU); January 2021-June 2021.
- Senior Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs; July 2017- December 2020
- Interim Vice Provost for Global Affairs - March 2019 - September 2019
- Interim Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs; November 2018 - February 2019
- Interim Dean, Bagwell College of Education, KSU; July 2018 - August 2018
- Associate Vice President for Faculty, KSU; July 2012-June 2017
- Interim Dean, College of Science and Mathematics, KSU; July 2010-June 2012
- Chair, Department of Biology and Physics, KSU; February 2004 - July 2010
- Acting Chair, Dept. of Biological and Physical Sciences, KSU; September 2002- February 2004
- Acting Assistant to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, KSU; Spring and Summer 2002
- Assistant Chair, Dept. of Biological and Physical Sciences, KSU;1993-2002
Teaching ExperienceKennesaw State University (1989-present):
- General Biology I (Biology 103)
- General Biology II (Biology 104)
- Human Anatomy & Physiology Lab I (Biology 2221L)
- Biological Principles I (Biology 2200/2108)
- Biology of the Dinosaurs (Biology 4490)
- Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy (Biology 3350 and Biology 3350L)
- Evolution and Biosystematics (Biology 3380)
- Land and People of Australia (Biology 4490)
- Scientific Principles and Processes I (Science 2205)
- Scientific Principles and Processes II (Science 1102)
- Vertebrate Zoology (Biology 3315 and Biology 3315L)
Temporary Faculty, Department of Biology, University of Alabama:
- Seminar: "Electrophoresis for Systematists" (1989)
Teaching Fellow, Department of Biology, UCLA (1981-1987):
- Biology of Organisms
- Biology of the Vertebrates
- Cellular Physiology
- Evolution, Ecology and Behavior
- Vertebrate Morphology
Teaching Assistant, Department of Biology, CSULB (1978-1980):
- General Botany
- Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Guest Lecturer: UCLA Animation Workshop, "Moving with Style: Anatomy and Motion Analysis for Animators". Topic: Flight.
Service to the University:
- Assistant Vice President for Faculty Search Committee Chair; 2021
- Annual Review Taskforce, Chair; 2021
- Associate Vice President for Faculty Search Committee Co-Chair; 2020
- Associate VP/Dean of Students Search Committee; 2020
- Associate Vice Provost for Global Affairs Search Committee, Chair; 2019-2020
- Centers and Institutes Taskforce, Chair; 2019-2020
- Summer Session Taskforce; 2019-2020
- Vice President for Student Affairs Search Committee; 2019
- Faculty Awards Taskforce; 2019
- PTR Compensation Taskforce; 2019
- Kennesaw State University Research Foundation; 2010-2012; 2017-2020
- Faculty Develop Program at Europaische Akademie Otzenhausen; 2016-2020
- Ad hoc Committee on External Letters,Chair; 2015-2016
- Comprehensive Master Plan Committee; 2015-2020
- Shared Goverance Workshops, Co-presenter; 2015-2020
- University Safety Council; 2015-2020
- Grievance Procedure Update Committee, Chair; 2015
- KSU Faculty Handbook Committee, Chair; 2015-2020
- Promotion and Tenure Procedure Committee, Chair; 2015
- Quality Enhancement Plan Committee; 2015-2020
- Policy Process Committee; 2014-2020
- Operational Working Groups 20A, 20B & 22, Co-Chair/Chair; 2014-2015
- Operational Working Groups 49 & 57 member; 2014-2015
- Senior Vice Provost Search Committee, Chair; 2014
- Provost's Council; 2012-2020
- Tenure & Promotion Workshops; 2012-2020
- Registrar's Search Committee; 2012, 2013
- President's Planning & Budget Committee; 2006-2008, Dean's Representative 2010-2012
- Clendenin Scholarship Committee; 2011-2012
- Dean's Council; 2010-2020
- Advisory Committee on Dispute Resolution; 2008-2012
- Administrator Review Committee; 2008-2011
- Teaching Effectiveness Committee; 2008-2010
- Chairs' Council Chair; 2007-2008, Immediate past chair 2008-2009,Ex-officio 2012-2020
- Director of Sustainability Search Committee; 2008
- Registration Subcommittee; 2008-2009
- Bartow County (Corra Harris) Land Use Committee; 2009
- International Policy Ph.D. Degree Program Committee; 2008
- Environmental Studies Degree Program Committee; 2007-2008
- Associate Provost Search Committee; 2007-2008
- Registrar's Search Committee; 2007
- University College Advisory Council; 2004-2006
- University Master Plan Working Committee; 2004-2005
- University Master Plan Academic Affairs Task Force; 2004-2005
- University Budget Committee; Chair's Representative 2003-2004
- University Program Review Council; 2002
- University Faculty Council; 2001-2002, Chair 2002-2003
- University Academic Standing Committee; 2000-2002.
- University Interdisciplinary Studies Major Committee; 2001-2003
- Search Committee - Dean of Undergraduate Studies; 2000-2001
- University Tenure & Promotion Oversight Committee; 2000-2001
- University Academic Advising Council; 1998- 2007
- University Grievance Policy Subcommittee; Chair, 1996-2000
- University Senate; 1994-1995, 2001-2002, Executive Committee 1995-1996, 2001-2002
- University Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee; 1995-1996
- University Undergraduate Curriculum and Policy Committee; 1993-1995. Chair, 1994-1995
- University Undergraduate Policy Subcommittee; 1991-1995, Chair 1992-1996
- University Faculty Evaluation Committee; 1991-1993
- University Environmental Concerns Committee; 1992-1993 (acting chair Spring 1993); Education Subcommittee, Chair; 1992-1993
- University Judiciary; 1992-1995
- University Library Committee; 1990-1992
Service to College of Science and Mathematics:
- Science Lab Building Executive Committee; 2009-2012
- Health Sciences Building Design Committee; 2007-2009
- Chemistry Chair Search Committee (Chair); 2006-2007
- Chairs Representative on Chairs Executive Council; 2004-2006
- Tenure & Promotion Committee; 1999-2001, Chair 2000-2001, 2002-2006
- School of Allied Health and Sciences, Special Events Committee; 1990-1991
Service to Department of Biology and Physics:
- Search Committees; 1997-1998, Chair, 1998-1999, Chair 1999-2000, 2001-2002
- Workload Committee; 1992-1993, 1998-2000
- Strategic Planning Committee; 1994-1998, Chair 1998-2001
- Science Core Committee; 1991-1993, 1998-2000
- Curriculum Assessment Committee, 1991-1995
- Departmental Representative to Teaching Faculty Retreat; 1990
- Curriculum Coordinating Committee; Secretary 1989-1990, Chair 1990-1997
- Cytogenetics Internship Scholarship Committee; 1989-1993
Service to the Community:
- University System of Georgia Emerita/Emeritus Working Group; 2020-2021
- Georgia Bio Education Committee; 2009- 2012
- External Reviewer for MS in Biology Program at Georgia College and State University; 2012
- External Reviewer for BS in Biology Program at North Georgia College and State University; 2005
- SOTAB Steering Committee Chair; 2003-2010
- Georgia Department of Education Zoology Performance Standards Committee; 2008-2009
- Banner Focus Group, Board of Regents; 1999
- Cherokee Co. Teachers Workshop; 1998
- Editor, Isozyme Bulletin; 1994-1996
- Chair, Storer Award Committee. 70th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists. Charleston, SC. 1990.
- Reviewer of journal articles for: The Auk, Biochemical Genetics, Biochemical Systematics and Ecology, Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, The Condor, Copeia, Stain Technology, and Systematic Zoology
- Reviewer for: Birds. In: Bibliography of Electrophoretic Studies of Biochemical Variation in Natural Vertebrate Populations. Savannah River Ecology Laboratory. 1990.
- Reviewer for: National Science Foundation, Population Biology Program.
- Leadership Kennesaw State; 1990-1991.
Honors and Awards
- Golden Key International Honour Society - Honorary Member (2003)
- College of Science & Mathematics Distinguished Advising Award; 2001
- KSU Outstanding Academic Advisor Award, 1998-99, 1999-2000
- NACADA Outstanding Advisor Award; 2000
- Distinguished Service Award, KSU College of Science and Mathematics; 1999
- Honors Faculty Status; 1998
- Certificate of Appreciation for Academic Advising; 1998, 1999
- Service Award in the College of Science and Mathematics (Nomination); 1998
- KSU Faculty Service Award; 1995-1996 (nomination), 1999-2000 (finalist), 2000-01 (finalist)
- KSU Distinguished Teaching Award Nominations; 1989-90, 1991-92, 1995-96, 1998-99
- Schechtman Award for Distinguished Teaching Assistant, Dept. of Biology, UCLA; 1986
- Johnson Award for Distinguished Research (Honorable Mention), School of Natural Sciences, CSULB; 1980.
- NSF "Scholarship Program in Science and Mathematics at Kennesaw State University " ($551,780); 2007 (Co-PI.)
- NSF Doctoral Dissertation Research Grant ($7800); 1985
- UCLA Department of Biology: UCLA Travel Grant, 1986
- UCLA Department of Biology: Organismic Animal Biology Fund Grant, 1981, 1982, 1985
- UCLA Travel and Research Grant, 1982, 1983
- Research Grant for a Computerized Bibliographic Search, 1981
- Frank M. Chapman Memorial Grant, American Museum of Natural History; 1977
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists
- American Ornithologists Union
Cooper Ornithological Society
- Council of Colleges of Arts and Sciences
- Georgia Bio
- Sigma Xi
- Vertebrate evolution and biodiversity
- Faunal surveys of streams and life history studies of fishes
- Biochemical genetics and systematics of birds and fishes
- Tissue specific gene expression
Dissertation and Thesis
- Matson, R. H. 1987. Biochemical Genetics and Systematic Applications of Avian Isozyme Characters. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, UCLA.
- Matson, R. H. 1980. Genetic variation in two insular populations of the house finch, Carpodacus mexicanus (Aves: Fringillidae). Unpublished Master's thesis, CSULB.
Presentations and Abstracts
- Economopoulos, M., W. Griffin and R. Matson. 2008. Enhancing Teacher Education Communities: A Collaborative Model that Really Works. 25th Academic Chairpersons Conference. Orlando, FL.
- Smith, B., R. Matson, S. McCullagh and G. Smith. 2000. Lands and Peoples of Australia: A Lesson in Collaborative Teaching. 7th Annual Georgia Conference on College & University Teaching. Kennesaw, GA.
- Matson, R.H. 1999. "From Plate Tectonics to Koala Bears: A Natural History of Australia"; Kennesaw State University, GA
- Mayden, R. L., R. M. Woods, S. R. Layman and R. H. Matson. 1992. Systematics and Biogeography of the Notropis rubellus species complex. American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists. University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana.
- Matson, R. H. 1990. "Ldh-X, Is it an avian character?" Berry College, Rome, GA.
- Matson, R. H., R. L. Mayden and B. R. Kuhajda. 1989. Allozyme differentiation in populations of the Rainbow Shiner, Notropis chrosomus 50th Annual Meeting of the Association of Southeastern Biologists. Charlotte, NC.
- Matson, R. H., R. L. Mayden, and B. R. Kuhajda. 1989. Electrophoretic comparisons of populations of Notropis chrosomus from the Mobile Bay Basin. American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists. San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA.
- Kuhajda, B. R., R. L. Mayden and R. H. Matson. 1989. Meristic comparisons between populations of Notropis chrosomus from the Mobile Bay Basin. American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists. San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA.
- Mayden, R. L., R. H. Matson and D. M. Hillis. 1989. Speciation in the cyprinid genus Dionda. American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists. San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA.
- Matson, R. H. 1989. "Ldh- X, Is it an avian character?" Georgia Southern College, Statesboro, GA.
- Matson, R. H., and R. L. Mayden. 1988. Genetic variation in Southeastern populations of Notropis leuciodus. American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists. Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Mayden, R. L. and R. H. Matson. 1988. Evolutionary relationships of eastern North American cyprinids. American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists. Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Mayden, R. L., and R. H. Matson. 1988. Preliminary analysis of systematic placement Notropis rubellus (Cyprinidae). 49th Annual Meeting of the Association of Southeastern Biologists. Biloxi, MS.
- Matson, R. H. 1986. Isozyme characters of Sphenodon punctatus and their use in phylogenetic analyses of reptiles. 66th Meeting of the American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists. Univ. of Victoria, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.
- Matson, R. H. 1985. "Ldh-X": is it an avian character? 103rd Meeting of the American Ornithologists' Union. Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ.
- Matson, R. H. 1985. Application of isozyme characters in avian systematics. Third International Congress of Systematic and Evolutionary Biology. Univ. of Sussex, Brighton, England.
- Matson, R. H. 1985. Tissue-specific gene expression in Sphenodon punctatus. Gene Expression in Reptilian Systematics. American Association for the Advancement of Science, Los Angeles, CA.
- Wood, R.M., R. L. Mayden, R. H. Matson, B.R. Kuhajda and S. R. Layman. 2002. Systematics and biogeography of the Notropis rubellus species group (Teleostei:Cyprinidae). Bull. Alabama Mus. Nat. Hist. 22: 37-80.
- Matson, R. H. 1999. Limitations to the use of tissue-specific gene expression characters in the phylogenetic analyses of non-avian reptiles. Biochemical Systematics and Ecology 27:213-222.
- Coelho, M. M., M. J. Alves, M. J. Collares-Periera, and R. H. Matson. 1997. Allozyme analysis and the controversial generic status of Iberian species Chondrostoma lemmingii and C. lusitanicum (Pices: Cyprinidae). Folia Zool. 46 (Suppl.1): 15-26.
- Mayden, R. L. and R. H. Matson. 1992. Systematics and biogeography of the Tennessee shiner Notropis leuciodus (Cope) (Teleostei: Cyprinidae). Copeia 1992: 954-968.
- Mayden, R. L., R. H. Matson, and D. R. Hillis. 1992. Speciation in the North American genus Dionda. pp. 710-746. In: Mayden, R. L. (Ed.). Systematics, Historical Ecology and North American Freshwater Fishes. Stanford University Press.
- Matson, R. H. 1989. Avian peptidase isozymes: tissue distributions, substrate affinities and assignment of homology. Biochem. Genet. 27:137-151.
- Matson, R. H. 1989. Distribution of the testis-specific Ldh-X among avian taxa with comments on the evolution of the Ldh gene family. Syst. Zool. 38: 106-115.
- Mayden, R. L., R. H. Matson, B. R. Kuhajda, J. M. Pierson, M. F. Mettee, and K. S. Frazer. 1989. The chestnut lamprey, Ichthyomyzon castaneus Girard, in the Mobile Basin. Proceedings of the Southeastern Fishes Council. 20:10-13.
- Murphy, R. W. and R. H. Matson. 1986. Evolution of isozyme characters in the tuatara, Sphenodon punctatus. New Zealand Journal of Zoology 13: 573-581.
- Matson, R. H., C. B. Crabtree, and T. R. Haglund. 1986. Ichthyofaunal composition and recolonization in a central California tidepool. Calif. Fish and Game 72: 227-231.
- Matson, R. H. 1984. Applications of electrophoretic data in avian systematics. Auk 101: 717-729.
- Matson, R. H. 1991. Fructose-bisphosphatase in birds. Isozyme Bulletin 24:28.
- Matson, R. H., R. L., Mayden and B. R. Kuhajda. 1989. Allozyme differentiation in the rainbow shiner, Notropis chrosomus. Isozyme Bulletin. 22: 73.
- Matson, R. H. 1988. Agnathan triosephosphate isomerase. Isozyme Bulletin 21: 189.
- Matson, R. H. 1987. Mannose-6-phosphate isomerase in birds. Isozyme Bulletin 20: 25.
- Matson, R. H. 1986. "Ldh-X": is it an "avian character?" Isozyme Bulletin 19: 17.
- Matson, R. H. 1993. An assessment of the ichthyofaunal composition of streams draining into Lake Allatoona. Submitted as part of the Clean Lakes Grant under the auspices of the Burruss Institute at KSU.