I have worked in and held progressively higher roles in U.S. post-secondary education for nearly 30 years. My roles began as a student and continued throughout my formal academic training. Roles have encompassed student affairs, institutional development, and academic affairs. I have led academic and co-curricular departments, managed and developed programs, assessed their impact, and sought funding for the continuation of service—all with the goal of enhancing the well-being of underserved students and stakeholders and elevating the mission, brand, and profile of the units that I lead.
Associate Professor, Social Work and Human Services | Kennesaw State University: Kennesaw, GA
● Unanimously approved, with exemplary distinction at all levels, including external
● Obtained full graduate faculty status in Fall 2022.
● Eligible to submit dossier for Full Professor status in Fall 2024.
Assistant Professor, Social Work and Human Services | Kennesaw State University: Kennesaw, GA
● Responsible for teaching courses and mentoring students in the undergraduate program.
Conduct research and prepare manuscripts for publication in topics relevant to social
work, human services, and nonprofit management. Provide public service and outreach
to the university community and the community-at-large.
● Provide support to the Nonprofit Management and Social Innovation (Nonprofit Management) concentration, focusing on curriculum development, program operations, identification of potential internship partnerships, and employment opportunities for students.
● Support the work of the Nonprofit Leadership Alliance’s partnership at the institution, through a university-wide academic program that educates and prepares students from various disciplines to work in the nonprofit sector.
● Mentor declared Human Services majors in the Social Engagement and Advocacy (formerly Case Management) and Nonprofit Management concentrations and work with rospective/current students involved in the respective university-wide certificate programs towards completion/graduation.
● Provide professional development resources and support for University alumni.
● Obtained associate graduate faculty status.
Director and Assistant Professor, Arts Administration Program and Nonprofit Management and
Community Leadership Program | Salem College: Winston-Salem, NC
● Responsible for directing two academic programs, including recruiting, hiring,
and training faculty. Prepared the course schedule and revised the curriculum in compliance
with accreditation standards. Taught traditional programmatic courses. Advised and
mentored students. Served on committees within the campus community and the community-at-large.
● Provided leadership to both programs, focusing on curriculum design, program operations, recruitment and hiring of adjunct faculty, faculty development, budgeting and fundraising, program assessment, and strategic oversight.
● Maintained compliance with Southern Association of Colleges and Schools’ Accreditation
Standards (SACSs) and the academic regulations of Salem College.
● Coordinated academic matters for both programs. This included recruitment, scheduling,
advising, registration, internship placement and oversight. It also included writing and
administering the comprehensive exam for each department, and in their respective capstone project, for graduation.
● Coordinated special projects and outreach opportunities for students.
● Mentored students and adjunct faculty for both academic programs.
● Coordinated program faculty meetings and attended other program meetings for cross-listed courses.
● Worked with majors and minors within the programs from the traditional and adult student populations, and assisted them in completing their graduation portfolios.
● Oversaw and managed all aspects of enrollment management for the Not-for-Profit Certificate Program, which provides staff professional development to several public, private, and nonprofit sector employers.
Coordinator of the Nonprofit Management Program and Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science | The University of North Carolina at Greensboro: Greensboro, NC
● Lead faculty member in the nonprofit program and responsible for coordinating
the online graduate nonprofit management certificate program.
● Provided leadership, especially within the areas of curriculum development, program operations, program assessment, and strategic oversight.
● Maintained compliance with SACS and regulations of the University.
● Responsible for serving as the public service agent for the department to promote the Nonprofit Management Certificate Program to area organizations and agencies and for identifying possible funders for year-long paid graduate assistantships for students in their second year of studying for their Master of Public Affairs.
● Coordinated academic matters for nonprofit concentration, nonprofit certificate, and
university-wide Vision Program students, including recruitment, advising, registration, and
internship placement and oversight, as well as mentoring students as they prepared for their
comprehensive exam and directed the capstone comprehensive exam prior to graduation.
● Coordinated special projects and promotions for the students.
● Mentored students and aided them in completing their professional portfolios prior to
07/2005–08/2006 & 6/2003–06/2005
Director & Graduate Mentor, Leadership Development Specialist/Leadership ¡Sin Limites! Youth Program (formerly known as the Latino Youth Leadership Program), J.W. Fanning Institute for Leadership Development | The University of Georgia: Athens, GA
● Directed a state-wide program of over 75 Latino students in Georgia high schools
to develop their leadership skills and encourage completion of their high school degree
and successful entry into college.
● Coordinated and supervised a year-long mentorship program with peer mentors.
● Provided guidance on high school completion; preparation for ACT/SAT exams; editing college, financial aid, and scholarship applications; and guidance on the college selection process.
● Presented at community and university events regarding higher educational opportunities for Latino youth.
Goizueta Foundation Fellow, Center for Latino Achievement and Success in Education | The University of Georgia: Athens, GA
● Researched, wrote, and presented on pedagogy and best-practices on educating and
working with Latinos and immigrants.
● Worked with superintendents, principals, educators, counselors, community leaders, and families to develop and improve community and family engagement programs at K−12 public schools throughout Georgia.
● Aided in the planning and implementation of professional development conferences for educators and stakeholders.
Assistant Director, Multicultural Student Affairs | University of Miami: Coral Gables, FL
● Coordinated, advised, and completed reports for recipients of state and federal
● Facilitated reforming the office, which had served only African/Black American students, to serve all ethnic and religious minorities in line with the University’s strategic plan.
● Designed a database for scholarship, fellowship, and internship opportunities for minority
● Provided culturally competent counseling and support to first-generation college students.
● Developed, coordinated, and implemented university-wide heritage month activities showcasing the traditions of diverse ethnic/racial/religious groups.
Operations and Management Specialist I, Substance Abuse & Treatment Unit Florida Department of Children and Families | District XI: Miami, FL
● Facilitated placement of those seeking rehabilitation (voluntary and mandatory)
at residential and outreach treatment facilities.
● Provided resource and referral for continuation of care from social service agencies and with support groups throughout South Florida.
Assistant to the Vice President, Institutional Advancement | Trinity International University:
● Assisted in planning and implementing University fundraising events.
● Reviewed and edited grant proposals to improve and expand academic and student affairs programs for South Florida’s largest Christian college.
Volunteer, Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA) | Miami-Dade County Public Schools: Miami, FL
● Led a team of four VISTAs in founding and developing the “Literacy Tutor Program”
for adult instruction.
● Facilitated expansion of Adult Basic Education programs for Cuban and Haitian immigrants.
● Prepared lesson plans and taught classes for adults learning English as a second language.
Assistant to the Director, University Women’s Center | Florida International University: Miami, FL
● Aided the Director and the Women’s Studies Department in the founding of the University
● Developed and implemented the Center’s library collection and database for internships and scholarships for women.
● Wrote and served as student contributor for “The Muse” (Center Newsletter).
● Assisted in the planning and execution of Women’s History Month activities.
Coordinator, Wellness at the Student Health Clinic (formerly known as the Alcohol,
Drug, and AIDS
Education and Resource Center), Florida International University: Miami, FL
● Coordinated the Student Health Advocates for Peer Education (S.H.A.P.E.) program.
● Recruited and trained 12 college peer educators who provided educational programs to college and local high school students on the following topics: high- and low-risk sexual behaviors, sexually transmitted diseases, alcohol and other substance abuse, eating disorders, peer pressure, and general health and wellness.
● Provided individual counseling at the Center.
Student Coordinator, Vested Interest Program | Florida International University: Miami, FL
● Collaborated with the Director on the recruitment, selection, and evaluation of
100 high school students enrolled in the program, which was created to offer services and programs during the Summer term similar to those in the Invitational Scholars Program offered in the Fall and Winter terms.
● Maintained student records and served as a peer mentor for program participants.
● Prepared and processed applications for enrollment stipends and book vouchers.