The following Links are websites that deal with various aspects of EVOLUTION. They have information that will be of interest to students in Biology 3380 (Evolution) and other courses. The categories below are not all inclusive; many of the URL's easily fit into categories other than the one in which it is found.
- All Species Project - The ALL Species Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to the complete inventory of all species of life on Earth within the next 25 years - a human generation.
- American Astronomical Society - This takes you to the AAS statement on "The Teaching of the History of the Universe". While it deals with the evolution of the solar system and universe (and not biological evolution), it is an important statement on why teaching about evolution is important.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (Evolution Resources from the AAAS. Evolution is a central part of contemporary science. It has also long been a source of ongoing religious commentary, and sometimes controversy. Since its inception the AAAS Dialogue on Science, Ethics, and Religion (DoSER) has developed this website to offer: commentary on current issues, education resources, perspective, court cases, etc...).
- Becoming Human - ASU Institute of Human Orgins website.
- Bureaucratic Mischief: Recognizing Endangered Species and Subspecies, by Stephen J. O'Brien; Ernst Mayr; Science 1991
- Biology Links - Evolution (Website maintained by the Dept. of Cell & Molecular Biology at Harvard University. Contains links to sites to general evolution resources, laboratories, museums, software, collections, molecular evolution and more.)
- The Cichlid Fishes of Lake Malawi, Africa
- The Compleat Cladist (The Compleat Cladist: A Primer of Phylogenetic Procedures by E.O. Wiley, D. Siegel-Causey, D.R. Brooks, and V.A. Funk is out of print. A new edition is expected during 2000. However, the first edition of the book is available free in a portable document format that can be read by and printed from Adobe Acrobat Reader.)
- Darwin - Download (free) books by and about Charles Darwin, including Origin of Species, Descent of Man, Autobiography of Darwin etc...
- Darwin On-line - The complete works of Darwin can be found here.
- Darwinians and Evolution - Links to many topics dealing with evolution.
- Design on the Defensive - Ken Miller's website showing the flaws in the ideas of "irreducible complexity".
- Discovery Institute - Major supporters/proponents of "Intelligent Design".
- Evolution - The International Journal of Organic Evolution.
- Evolution - Articles posted on the ActionBiosciences website.
- Evolution in Health and Disease - Abstracts and presentations given at the Yale Symposium in February 2008.
- Evolution of Eyes - Gradual change from Simple Form - Links to various websites dealing with the evolution of the eye.
- Evolution on the Web for Biology Students- Links to websites that students might find helpful.
- Evolution, Religion and Creationism - Q&A format about relationship of evolution to religion and to creationism.
- EVOLUTION, SCIENCE AND SOCIETY: Evolutionary Biology and the National Research Agenda.
- Evolution Research News - Links to major news & scientific reports in evolutionary biology.
- Evolution and Creationism
- Evo-Devo - Nature Reviews Genetics Summary article.
- EVOTUTOR - Contains simulations of drift, mutation etc...
- FAQ's about Evolution - PBS website for their program "Evolution".
- Flagellum Unspun - Ken Miller's paper showing flaws in the ideas of "irreducible complexity" by discussing the flagellum of bacteria.
- Georgia Citizens for Integrity in Science Education (GCISE) - A group of concerned parents, educators, scientists, and others dedicated to promoting scientific literacy and excellence in science education.
- Glossary of Terms used in Phylogeny Reconstruction - Website maintained by the Molecular Systematics and Evolution of Microorganisms. The Natural History Museum, London and Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Human Ancestry - Includes photo of fossil hominid skulls.
- Human Origins - Smithsonian Institution website.
- It's a Long Ways from Amphioxus - Science and song meet.
- Judgement Day: Intelligent Design on Trial - Website for the NOVA video dealing with the 2005 Kitzmiller v. Dover case where the court ruled against teaching intelligent design as science.
- Kansas Citizens for Science - A non-profit organization dedicated to promoting a better understanding of what science is and does.
- Michigan Scientific Evolution Education Initiative (MSEEI) - The purpose of the MSEEI is to provide Michigan teachers and pre-service teacher education students with the necessary content, pedagogy and support system to effectively teach scientific evolution.
- National Academy of Sciences (SCIENCE AND CREATIONISM Resources about evolution and the nature of science can be found at the web links listed within this website.)
- National Center for Science Education - Defending the Teaching of Evolution in the Public Schools (homepage of the National Center for Science Education, Inc. --NCSE -- a nonprofit, tax-exempt membership organization working to defend the teaching of evolution against sectarian attack. Contains links to sites dealing with evolution, creationist sites, critiques of creationism, critical thinking etc. Their "Resources" link contains information about "Seven Significant Court Cases", "Evolution of Creationism" etc..)
- PHYLOCODE - A new, and controversial, formal set of rules governing phylogenetic nomenclature.
- Phylogenetic Systematics - Website at UC Berkeley providing an introduction to Cladistics.
- Separating Religious Fundamentalist "Science" from Science - Article by Dr. Tim Berra posted on the ActionBiosciences website.
- Sites of Interest - Website maintained by the Dept. of Ecology and Evolutinary Biology, University of Connecticut.
- Talk Origins Archives - A Usenet newsgroup devoted to the discussion and debate of biological and physical origins. Most discussions in the newsgroup center on the creation/evolution controversy, but other topics of discussion include the origin of life, geology, biology, catastrophism, cosmology and theology.
- Teaching About Evolution and the Nature of Science - Online book from the National Academy Press. Contains activities for about teaching evolution and the nature of science.
- TreeBASE - TreeBASE is a relational database of phylogenetic information.
- Tree of Life - A collaborative Internet project containing information about phylogeny and biodiversity
- Understanding Evolution - Website from UC Berkeley, especially good for teachers.
- UC Berkeley "Paleontology without Walls" - Virtual exhibits that provide three different areas in which to start your exploration of paleontology: Phylogeny the "family tree" of life. Geologic Time the temporal existence of groups of organisms. Evolutionary Thought evolutionary topics and scientists in their historical context.
- Freiler, Smith & Jones vs. Tangipahoa Parish Board of Education - Parents of children in the Tangipahoa Parish Public Schools brought this suit to enjoin their school board from mandating that a disclaimer be read immediately before the teaching of evolution in all elementary and secondary classes.
- McLean vs. Arkansas - "U.S. District Court decision in which "balanced treatment" for creationism and evolution in Arkansas public school science classrooms was ruled unconstitutional". From Talk-Origins Archives.
- Edwards v. Aguillard - "U.S. Supreme Court decision dealing with creationism in public school science classrooms. The majority opinions and the dissenting opinion by Justice Antonin Scalia are provided along with the amicus curiae brief filed by 72 Nobel Prize winning scientists". From Talk-Origins Archives.
- Epperson v. Arkansas - "U.S. Supreme Court case which ruled unconstitutional Arkansas's law forbidding the teaching of evolution in state-supported schools". From Talk-Origins Archives.
- Kitzmiller vs. Dover - Official court transcripts of 2005 "Dover" case in which teaching of ID was struck down.
- Scopes Trial - From "Famous Trials" website by Doug Linder, UMKC Law School.
- Selman vs. Cobb County - Dealt with the "anti-evolution" stickers placed in textbooks in Cobb County schools.
- Evolution and Medicine - website is for scientists, scholars and clinicians working at the interface of evolution and medicine.
- What is Darwinian Medicine? Randolph Nesse, M.D. (The University of Michigan.)
- Structured Treatment Interruption (Video from Sept 2001 PBS series "Evolution").
- HIV Immunity (Video from PBS Nova series).
PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE
- The Clergy Letter Project- Letters, sermons etc. from clergy of various faiths who support the teaching of evolution.
- Sir Karl Popper - Entry from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- Pope John Paul II comments about evolution - 1996 Message to Pontifical Academy of Sciences by Pope John Paul II (L'Osservatore Romano translation from the French).
DEVELOPMENTAL BIOLOGY & EVOLUTION
- The evolution of evo-devo biology Corey S. Goodman Bridget C. Coughlin
- Evolution - Part of ZYGOTE, a website for more information in Developmental Biology maintained by Scott Gilbert, Department of Biology, Swarthmore College.
- Homeobox Genes